[blparent] Keeping young children safe as parents with a visual impairment

Sheila Leigland sleigland at bresnan.net
Sat Dec 31 03:51:34 UTC 2011

I don't know if we did anything differently than sighted parents should have been doing accept understand that vision was not an option to be used. We had baby gates. We had a baby monitor, when we built a deck it was railed and had a gate on it. We taught him to come when he was called and that lule was consedered unbreakable. We had a fenced yard in fact it was six feet high and then people complained that it looked like a prison. We had a baby gate separating the kitchen and the living room until our son discovered at the ripe old age of 2 how to unlock it. Then we were told that he watched us do it surprise surprise he could see. We tried to keep him from climbing oh welll that only lasted so long. We held hands when we crossed the street. There is no way to plan for everything and sighted people can't do it eiter. And if they claim that they do they are deceiving themselves as well as others.

Sheila Leiglan	d