[blparent] Keeping young children safe as parents with avisualimpairment

Pipi blahblahblah0822 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 18:15:17 UTC 2011

Jo Elizabeth,
I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one on the list who
seeks help from someone with sight at times. I tend to pair up with my best
friend. Our kids are 2 years apart, but we do a lot of the zoo, play areas,
children's museums, etc. together. I used to make savannah stay right with
me or me right with her, but my friend actually said, hey if you want, I can
keep an eye on her so she can walk with Riley, or so that I can sit back and
relax with her and enjoy a coffee or such.
I know of a person who has hired someone to basically be her eyes at
playgrounds and such. Ther person is just that, eyes. If the child does
something wrong, mom is still in charge.
Sometimes it's a convienence to have someone sighted and as long as you
aren't "using" the person, then I don't see a problem with it. I'm here to
have a great time and to provide great times for my daughter. There's
nothing wrong with taking the easy way out and allowing kids to have a bit
more freedom and hell us for that matter as well. I'm confident that if I
had to, I could and would take Savannah to the zoo alone, but why should I?
lol I've rambled on, but I agree with you, that's all.
Pipi