[blparent] Keeping young children safe as parents with a visual impairment

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Sat Dec 31 19:26:30 UTC 2011

We did all of the above, except I didn't have a baby gate, but I did put the
play pen infront of the kitchen door while I was cooking, but that was the
only time.  I also made sure my house was baby safe with outlet covers and
things that kept the cabinets closed in the bathroom.  But you know what,
Gab could open them without problem, but my elderly mother could not.  Goes
to show.
My cousin put fancy locks up high so the kids couldn't get out but you know
as that goes,  as soon as her kids figured out they could move the chair,
they opened it right away.
Anyway the point is we can only try to prevent as any one does, but kids are
kids and as long as we keep on top of things, we are doing the right thing.

Another thing we did at my mother's for safety reasons, we had an alarm put
in and every time anyone opened a door, the alarm would chime.  We did this
to make my mother feel better after my dad passed away.  But we loved it
when the grandbabies came around, if any of them tried to escape, the
alarmed chimed loudly. v