[blparent] Keeping young children safe with a visual impairment

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 31 20:03:57 UTC 2011

Miranda and others,

Before I say what I have to say, let me make it clear I'm in no way
suggesting you and your husband become difficult and belligerent. As
most of us know, this attitude, though seemingly called for at times in
my opinion (this meant sarcastically, smile( usually does nothing to
help further our abilities in the eyes of doubters and detractors.

That being said, I caution you to tread carefully in terms of not
labeling actions as discriminatory.

The fact of the matter is that whether people hop on board with us or
not, "it" should not be right or legal to ask a blind person to go above
and beyond what others are asked to do for any given circumstance. From
my own brief communications with you, you and your husband seem like
capable, confident people who know how to handle situations like this,
and this post isn't necessarily directed only to you, but I'm sick and
tired of those with visual impairments being asked to prove things and
jump through hoops that are in no way fair or equal. If the state was
asking for more information about how a Muslim or Latino family would
safely parent, well, we know the legal system would not support this (or
at least have the gall to outright say such things in this day and age).
Yet blind people are asked to jump through hoops that others are not. I
know I'm preaching to the choir, and I know this is why the Federation
produced the informational book on blind parenting, but I think we need
to do more because it's not fair that we have to prove ourselves in ways
that other parents do not have too.

It doesn't matter whether people "trust" that a blind person can do
something safely; people learn foreign languages I don't know; doesn't
mean I don't believe others can't speak them. People understand physics
concepts that go beyond my "own" understanding; doesn't mean that
because I don't understand it that it automatically means others
therefore can't either. Adoptive or biological, parents should not have
to "prove" anything that is not normally asked of a parent.

You and your husband are taking an extra class through Hadley; I doubt
others going through the licensing process are taking classes outside
the ones offered by the state. You are being asked to document and seek
out information on how to do something simple, and again, I doubt others
are having to provide, and do leg work, similar information. In my
opinion, this is discrimination, but as usual, we're suppose to smile
and take the submissive stance, after-all, we can certainly understand
why anyone would ask this of us, right? In my opinion, wrong.

The safety of children is paramount, and if the state has had problems
with this in the past, to an extent, it makes sense to ensure children
are paired with homes that will provide that security, but if others
going through the parenting process, adoptive or otherwise, are not
being asked to do similar things, this crosses the line into
discrimination. So, to you parents who have more experience, and wisdom,
and those who have been "dealing" with this "blind" situation longer,
when do we stand up and say, "Hey, this isn't fair! My visual impairment
in no way affects my ability to parent. And I fail to see others jumping
through similar hoops." I know we don't want to rock the boat, but I
don't think we can either continue to allow this behavior and mindset to
be acceptable and normal.

I'm not trying to be difficult (well, much, grin) but this is what has
been the most difficult adjustment for me since losing my sight 8 years
ago; the perceptions and attitudes of others.  I grew up sighted, taking
these things for granted. I didn't become blind until an adult, and I'm
relatively still new to blindness compared to many of you, so it's often
more difficult for me to sit passively by with these issues. I'm the
same person, with the same values and goals, it happens I just can no
longer "see." Yet this one aspect of me tends to rule everything else in
the eyes of many. I'm probably just PMS-ing (ha-ha!) but I hear stories
like yours, Miranda, and I am outraged. Decades of toiling for equality
and fair treatment, and it seems like we are still proving our abilities
that shouldn't, quite frankly, be questioned at all. For far too many
still, it doesn't matter how many blind people can parade in front of
their eyes proving just what the blind are capable of; they still don't
believe, they still doubt and think they, who have no knowledge of
blindness of other than those based on perceptions and stereotypes, what
being blind is like and what can and can not be done. This is egregious
behavior that is to antiquated to continue to exist anymore. But as
always, where do we go? Where do we start? In my opinion, we need an
official initiative agreed upon and enacted by each state to work on
education, legislation, mediation and any other effort to change these
views in the eyes of the public and the government.

Okay, sorry for the rant. I'm just a little testy, as are the rest of
you, on this issue in particular.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: