[blparent] Keeping young children safe as parentswith a visual impairment

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Sat Dec 31 22:21:03 UTC 2011

Dear Steve,

Yes, I heard Ryan Knighton's piece on This American Life, and like you, I
was appalled.  He makes statements such as (I paraphrase here), "My wife
hadn't had a moment to herself in four months, ever since our daughter was
born, except to go to the bathroom.  It was inevitable, since I am blind."
He also quips about "trying to change a nappy in the dark" and notes several
times that he kept putting the baby carrier on upside down.  He has been
blind for eight or ten years at the time of this writing.  Ira Glass's
comments leading into this piece are equally dismaying, about "What happens
when you are the problem in your neighborhood?"  The only hint that there
might be an alternative to all this ineptitude is when Knighton comments
that he's been blind for X number of years but still isn't very good at it.
I hope he can get some good training, and I wish he'd stop telling the world
in his sparkling prose (really, he writes beautifully!) that a blind person
is an accident waiting to happen.  And I fervently hope Miranda's caseworker
doesn't listen to NPR!

Knighton's book, C'Mon Dad: Dispatches from a Dad in the Dark, is available
on Bookshare.

Debbie