[blparent] Choosing a daycare provider?

PICKRELL, REBECCA M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Mon Jan 3 13:13:57 UTC 2011

I highly suggest you read Gavin Debecker's book Protecting The Gift. There is a chapter on this very topic.
Also, go visit daycares after naptime but before pickup. Watch the older kids, the toddlers and preschoolers and see how they react both to you being a new person and how the teachers treat them. Do this for the babies, but know that the babies won't respond to you the way the preschoolers will. If you get the chance to talk to a preschooler, ask him or her what they did that they liked that day. You'll learn a lot.
Check the daycare's violations as all will have at least one. Some violations are more okay i.e. some parent forgot to send in the "put sunscreen on my kid" form, others are less okay.
Know that most daycares won't give out parent contact info, so you may need to catch parents as they come and go. You can also leave a note for parents to call you.
If the daycare is a neighborhood place, ask folks in then eighborhood what they think and have observed.