[blparent] The smart board is different than a black board

jill jillbilly4 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 04:36:46 UTC 2011

Smiles!
Jill

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Shelton
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2011 1:03 PM
To: 'NFBnet Blind Parents Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [blparent] The smart board is different than a black board

Bottom line, for a blind child to be successful in a sighted world, there
has to be some kind of compensation.  We all get good at holding a "picture"
of the world in our heads, or we don't.  Those of us who figure out how to
do this usually do better in a world where 99% of our fellow human beings
are sighted.  The fact that a smartboard at least has the potential to
generate a digital record, which at least in theory, could be made
accessible, is a big advantage over slate and chalk.  Like so many other
things, from the touch screen to 3D virtual worlds, this is just another
challenge that the blind will need to deal with.  I'm optimistic -- I'll bet
on a smart blind person every time over your average LDP.