[blparent] baby gates question

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Wed Jan 26 17:22:39 UTC 2011

I agree that baby gates at the top of the stairs can offer a false sense of
security, and can worsen falls that do occur.  You might consider getting a
door chime to install at the top of the stairs instead.  The chime works on
a beam of light, and rings if someone passes through the doorway.  If you
put the speaker part in your bedroom--check to see that the model you choose
comes with a separate speaker that can be moved around--then you would hear
if your child goes down the stairs in the night, and you could get up and
work with her on staying in bed.  I haven't checked lately, but a lot of the
adaptive living aids catalogs had door chimes in the past.

Jo Elizabeth

"Some people see things as they are and ask why.  I dream things that never
were and ask why not."--Robert F. Kennedy