[blparent] baby gates question

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Thu Jan 27 22:36:21 UTC 2011

Hi.  A lot has been said about different ideas for gates or doorknob locks
or whatever.  But I think the first consideration may be a very practical
evaluation of what exactly is in the office that you don't want your
daughter to get hold of.  I have an in-home office space right in my living
room, and it can be done, with a little thought.

What's in the office that's such a concern?  You don't have to answer on the
list, but that's the first question I would look at.  Is it something really
dangerous, like a paper shredder that your daughter could get her fingers in
or a paper cutter that she could slice herself with?  Those probably need to
be unplugged and stored somewhere out of reach and out of sight, even if it
isn't convenient to have to get them out and plug them in every time you
need to use them.  Or is it just something that would be a pain in the butt
for a three-year-old to get into?  I resorted to taping my desk drawers shut
for a while, or using Velcro bands to secure them.  For the most part now,
my daughter knows to leave the drawers alone, and she doesn't get in them
anymore even without the tape on them.  That was just a matter of teaching
her what stuff is hers to go for, and what stuff is someone else's.

Now that Sarah is sleeping in a regular bunk bed, we'll have to make some
new rules for the bedroom, which my teenage stepson also uses when he's
staying with us.  There's a cabinet in there that's his, and we've started
securing it closed with a big rubber band.  He also uses some open corner
shelves, and so far, if Sarah gets anything off there, I just make a point
of having her put it back because it isn't hers.  The other part of the
equation, when Stephen returns, will be letting him know that I'm not going
to be responsible for anything Sarah gets that isn't in the secured cabinet.
I'll do my best to keep her from taking over the room, but if he decides to
leave a game or puzzle on the top bunk, or on the open shelves or the floor,
and she gets it and loses pieces, then it's not my problem because the game
or puzzle wasn't put away where she couldn't lay her hands on it.

All I'm saying is, it's not too early to start teaching a three-year-old
that she can't have free access to everything she sees, and then evaluating
the environment to make sure she can't get hold of anything that truly would
be dangerous for her.  I'm not perfect--Sarah found a light bulb in a
kitchen drawer the other day, which could have broken and hurt her.  But I
just told her it wasn't safe because it could break and cut her, and then
put it in a place where she couldn't get it.  Maybe some of these ideas
might fix it so you don't have to just make an entire room off limits.  Or,
if you have a big enough house, maybe making the room off limits is an
option, in which case you'll havve to find some way to fix it so your
daughter can't get in there, even if it means changing what kind of doors
there are.  For me, the house is small enough, with only two bedrooms, a
dining room, living room--and a home office and some watchmaking tools
thrown in just in case we had extra space--that it's been all about what
goes where, and how closets or cupboards are secured, instead of sealing off
whole rooms.

Hope this helps,
Jo Elizabeth

"Some people see things as they are and ask why.  I dream things that never
were and ask why not."--Robert F. Kennedy