[blparent] How to tell when your child is smiling or looking at something

Chad Allen chad at chadallenmagic.com
Wed Jun 8 19:13:31 UTC 2011

Hi,

Not at all silly.

I ask all the same questions too. I get a lot of feedback from sighted folks
which I like but there are other signals I get from my son, Harrison.

First, of course, cries. He's very good at telling me when he does not like
something. That could be a myriad of things like hunger, tired, diaper
change, etc.

but what about the more subtle things like smiling? I find that I can get
Harrison to make a sound pretty easily when he is happy. I get a coo or a
giggle or just a high pitched yea at times that tells me he is enjoying
something. Then, I investigate. Sometimes it's a toy or something I'm doing.
other times we play by making silly sounds or faces and sometimes we wrestle
baby style where I just let him crawl all over me.

We bounce and I get happy and not so happy sounds out of him at times
depending on his mood. Sometimes if I hear nothing for awhile, it means he
fell asleep. One time he fell asleep in his jumper sitting up which was
great fun. But even his breathing can give me a clue to his mood or interest
too.

Since I can't see him, I need to get creative in experiencing other things
with him. It bums me out that I can't see his peaceful sleep like others or
some of his silly faces but there are so many other wonderful elements to
our interactions that few understand so I consider that to be the trade off.

I think the most important part is to enjoy every bit and not to dwell too
much on the struggles. We do so much together and if I can't see something
he does, it's OK because we are buds. I know he won't care when he's older
because we will be friends and I'll play games and be a part of his life in
a unique way. Love is what matters most.