[blparent] child smiling

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 03:51:34 UTC 2011

I have always made a point to smile at my baby a lot and make different
funny faces at him so that hopefully I'm smiling at him when he's smiling at
me and so that he just sees mom as silly and fun.  Dawson is 7.5 months now
and he's always been a very smiley baby with very expressive faces and I'd
like to believe that aside from his personal character all my smiling and
playing with him making funny faces really helped him develop all the great
looks he gives.

Additionally, I have made a point to praise Dawson every time he
communicates with me verbally or by touching me to get my attention which
has really aided him in being a more verbal and hands-on baby.  That helps
mom a ton!  I can't remember where I heard this but there have been studies
ton on children of at least one blind parent and on average these children
tend to start talking sooner than children of parents who are sighted.  This
makes a lot of sense since they can't just point and grunt at something they
want, but rather they have to be more clear in there verbal communication if
they are to actually get their message across.

Erin Rumer