[blparent] Question of Interest

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Thu Jun 16 15:13:47 UTC 2011

Nicknames are so funny.  We thought we'd call Austin AJ (short for Austin
James) but we rarely do.  I call him Buddy most of the time, and so does my
husband actually.  Austin really does not like anyone else call him anything
but Austin.  He tollerates us calling him Buddy, but the other day he asked
me to call him Austin, so I'm really trying to do that more often.
	With Oriana, I swore I'd never call her Ori.  I thought Ori sounded
ugly, and if we'd shorten her name at all I preferred Ana.  Wouldn't you
know it though, Austin started calling her "Ori Bori Guacaholi."  So we
started calling her that too, and now we mostly call her Ori.  She's even
said what sounds like Ori herself a couple of times, so Ori it will be.
	I'm glad both of our kids have grown up sounding names they can use
when they get older.  I was Missy growing up, and am so glad I am now
Melissa and had Melissa to switch to when I felt I outgrew Missy.
Just some thoughts.
Melissa