[blparent] dog hair

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 17:15:18 UTC 2011

I understand.  There are many a day I jokingly threaten to shave my dog
bald! GRIN  At least the love and safety he provides me as a guide make it
worth the hair no matter how frustrating.  I wish there were more breeds out
there who didn't shed as much that made for great guides.  I called the
Seeing Eye about their Boxers for the future even though I'm not a huge fan
of their neurotic energy and they told me that I wouldn't qualify for one
unless I myself had pretty horrible dog allergies and the weight could be a
while just depending on what they had available when I was up next for a
dog.  My first two guides were yellow Labs which was horrendous when it came
to their hair because it got all over my clothes as well as my home.  My 3rd
and current guide are black Labs which still makes for work in the home
especially on the tile and carpet but what a world of difference with my
clothes.  I can actually dress up and stay looking nice and for whatever
reason even my light colored clothes don't have dog hair on them.  Both of
my black Labs have had rougher coats which I've noticed helps since it's the
softer coated Labs that tend to have the hair that imbeds more into things.
What's also nice about having a black Lab is they do not show dirt if they
lay in something on a bus or while we're out and they don't show the ugly
discolored fur from the training collar that the yellow Labs tend to show.
My yellow Labs were beautiful and showed up better in pictures that's for
sure, but I am stuck on the black Labs for my personal life and needs.  The
only real down-fall is having a black dog in Tucson but we try not to stay
outside too much when it's intense outside.  I guess in a huge way the black
hair is a good thing because Provo is my portable thermostat because when
he's too warm that means I should probably get inside as well.  Naturally
the baby is another great reason to make it quick outside in the heat.
Dehydration can happen so fast and without warning.

Erin