[blparent] Spoon feeding infants

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Tue Mar 15 05:07:11 UTC 2011

Hi Chad.  I'm from Colorado, and my little girl just had her third birthday
a couple of weeks ago.  I can't believe how fast it goes.

I think the mesh pouch thing you are referring to is made for infants to cut
their teeth on.  You can chop up fruit and put it in there, and then freeze
the pouch till the fruit is hard, and the cold will feel good on the gums.
I found that fruit made a sticky mess everywhere, so I just used the pouch
with ice cubes.  I still do, just for ice cubes, because my daughter likes
them and I don't want her to choke on them.

The best thing I found for spoon feeding when Sarah was a baby was to
thicken the pureed food with a dab of infant cereal.  Make the puree just
thick enough so it stays on the spoon, sort of like instant pudding.  A lot
more of it will get into your son's mouth that way, but the other piece of
advice I have is, use big bibs and be prepared for a mess.  If you accept
the fact from the start that Harrison will get as much food on his face and
clothes an in his hair as he gets in his mouth, you'll be a lot less
frustrated in the end.  They all eventually do learn to use spoons by
themselves.

I've also heard of something called a Boon spoon, which is a spoon with a
bulb on one end.  You put food into the bulb and then squeeze it out onto
the spoon and into your baby's mouth.  I didn't hear about that till Sarah
had already passed the puree stage, so I can't say how well it works.

Welcome to the group, and enjoy your baby!

Jo Elizabeth

"Some people see things as they are and ask why.  I dream things that never
were and ask why not."--Robert F. Kennedy