[blparent] Collecting info on foster-adoptions as blind couples

Peggy pshald at neb.rr.com
Sat Mar 26 01:22:23 UTC 2011

So you want to start out with foster care then adoption?  I was a foster
parent for a while and I was given a chance because my first girl's
caseworker had a blind grandma.  Had that not happened, I'm not sure I would
have ever gotten into foster care.  I had my first girl, then four more
girls after that, two sets of sisters.  I am totally blind and was a single
parent.  However, the state will no longer place children in my home anymore
and I can't get a straight answer as to why.  I have gotten married and will
talk to one person and they'll say it's something in my husband's
background.  I will talk to someone else and they will say it's because a
couple of my girls ran away *and continued to runaway even after being
placed in a sighted parent home*.  Then someone else will tell me it's
something I've done ... but no one will ever say what.  In the meantime, my
foster care liscense has expired and I'm getting no placements.  Don't want
to discourage you but it's going to be tough!!  I guess take the classes,
get the certification completed and see how it goes.  Be as honest and open
with caseworkers and others involved and try to stay calm.  You will have to
prove yourself time and time again to folks who really don't believe that
blind people can be parents.  I'm always on this list if you need anything
or you can e-mail me off list if you'd like.  Good luck, stay calm, and
remember if you get foster children or get to adopt that wonderful baby ...
it will all have been worth it.  Educating the public isn't always a fun nor
easy thing to do!!  Good luck!!