[blparent] travel questions for extended trip

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Wed May 11 19:40:52 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone:
We'll be heading up to Toronto for a couple of weeks this summer. I have traveled a lot with Elise before, but she has been smaller and less mobile. Any tips from you travel veterans out there?

We will be renting a condo with a washer/drier, so that will help in terms of the amount of clothing we'll need to transport. Some of my biggest concerns are around where to have her sleep. I am thinking about getting an inflatable travel bed. She could sleep with me, but I'm concerned about my own quality of sleep. She is a kicker/hitter.

I also don't want to encourage cosleeping, as it is something we have worked hard to get away from. Any recommendations for a good sleep solution?

Also, since she is walking all the time now, we were thinking about just bringing the Sit 'n Stroll and my Ergo. Any thoughts on this? Will we need a better stroller? Toronto has an excellent public transit system, so our time in cars will be minimal. Just the odd trip in a cab, or perhaps a rental to drive out of the city to Niagara.

Any other travel essentials people can think of? Things you absolutely found were life savers, either with respect to toys, gear, etc.

Also, any good books about going on trips? She's a great reader, and we thought if she read about someone going on a vacation, that would help. Videos would also work. She's not fantastic with transition/change, so anything we can do to help her feel more in control would likely make our lives easier.

Dena