[blparent] Hi Erin

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Mon May 23 20:45:53 UTC 2011

Hello Erin and list,
I was very interested to hear about the no water reccommendation on your
list.  I think it's fascinating how these things can change--or how they can
be different from doctor to doctor and maybe even state to state.  My
pediatrician actually said water was fine to give in order to introduce baby
to a cup.  She said not to give it all of the time--that the baby would
still need breast milk or formula--but that it was fine to give water while
feeding solids even under a year.  So I did that with both of my kids and so
far so good.  Austin is 4 and a big water and milk drinker.  Oriana is a
year, and she enjoys water as well.  I completely agree with you about the
juices!  We give juice very occasionally for a special treat, but do not
give it often because of all the extra sugar!
	Interesting as well about the pumping; boy, can I relate to your
problem with pumping!  I had exactly the same issues with Austin--I was able
to feed him just fine, but had a terrible time pumping.  I had to get up at
about 4:30 AM in order to get enough milk consistently to feed him with
while I was at work.  Luckily, I only worked part time, and decided finally
to become a stay at home mom, but it was definitely rough!  I thought at the
time that it was because I didn't have a good enough pump, and/or that I
didn't start pumping soon enough for my body to really get used to it.  I
guess I'll never know.  All I know is that, when Oriana was born, I had so
much milk that it would actually choke her.  The pediatrician reccommended I
pump off a few ounces before feeding her in order to help with the flow.  I
did, and NEVER had a problem pumping.  I am using a different pump than I
used with Austin, which I like a lot better, but I'm not sure if it is the
pump that makes the biggest difference or if it's just how my body was
different the second time around.  I guess I'm sharing this just to let moms
know that just because you can't or couldn't pump well with one baby does
not mean it will be the same with another baby.
Melissa