[blparent] parents rights

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 01:34:21 UTC 2011

Thankfully, our school system is heading in the direction of having
everything sent out electronically unless otherwise requested.  However, it
wasn't always this way, so I had to ask for newsletters, personal notes,
special homework assignments and projects, and classroom calendars to be
sent via email.  Since both my husband and I are blind, the fact of the
matter is that if we don't get it electronically, we won't know about it.
Now that my son is older he can do some things like filling out his own hot
lunch menu, but I still get a copy so I know what they're offering.  As a
parent I have a right to know what food is being fed to my child.  I have a
right to study the curriculum too, in order to know if I approve of what my
children are being taught.  I don't think we should back down just because
certain teachers are not as comfortable on computers.  As someone else said,
the secretary is usually able to accommodate if the teacher cannot.  I met
with the principal before my son started school and explained what I would
be needing up front, so he was well aware and made sure my kids are placed
with teachers who can easily email me.  My kids are in a private school, so
I don't know how things work in a public school system, I am just sharing my
experience.  Quite frankly, it is my opinion that parents and teachers both
have a responsibility to see to the education of children, so if a teacher
isn't willing to make it so I can assist my child with his or her work, then
they aren't good enough to be my child's teacher.  I absolutely hate having
to ask for special accommodations, but for the sake of my child's education
and my right to be as involved in that education as any other parent, I'm
there.

Leanne