[blparent] Need advice with preschoolers behavior

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue Oct 4 18:01:03 UTC 2011

There's a nice board book that might help.  It's called "Hands are Not for
Hitting."  I haven't seen it on Seedlings, but you might check NBP.  You
could also braille it, and have your son look at the pictures.

If your son doesn't seem to understand that hitting hurts, could you compare
it to something that might have have happened to him recently?  Say,
remember when you fell off your bike, or burned your finger on the stove, or
smashed your hand in a door, or anything that would be in his short term
memory.  That hurt.  You didn't like it, right?  Well, hitting hurts other
people.  That's why they don't like it.

I'm sorry the preschool turned your son away instead of trying to help you
work out the problem.  I guess preschools can be selective about the kids
they take, unlike public schools.  My sister has taught kindergarten for
fourteen years, and she would have been ecstatic to find parents who were
willing to work out the problem instead of just blaming other kids or, more
commonly, blaming the teacher for singling out their child or not keeping
him challenged enough, or whatever other excuses they could dream up to make
their son the innocent party.  I hope you find another class for your son
very soon.