[blparent] Adopting a Pet

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Oct 6 16:57:11 UTC 2011

Hello.  Gerald and I are considering in taking a stray cat who needs a home.  The cat is healthy, has had his shots, been checked for worms and leukemia.  He's not fixed or de-clawed.  I don't know much about cats, so I have a few questions.

What do I need to know before trying to introduce the cat to my guide dog?

I'd like to take the cat on a trial basis for a few days.  How can I make it clear to my three-year-old that the kitty is going to stay through the weekend, and then we'll see from there?  Would that idea be too hard on her?

I know de-clawing is beyond the scope of this list, but is it something I should consider doing because of Sarah?

Jo Elizabeth

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong.  Because someday in life you will have been all of these."--George Washington Carver, 1864-1943, American scientist