[blparent] Adopting a Pet

Peggy pshald at neb.rr.com
Fri Oct 7 12:08:51 UTC 2011

We have four cats and four dogs so here are my suggestions.  I would be
honest with Sarah and tell her, we are going to try to keep the cat but if
her and the guide dog don't get along, we might not be able to keep the cat.
Depending on what kind of area you have, you can decide to declaw the cat or
not, all of our cats are declawed and for the most part they are inside
cats, there are two of them that go outside but we also have a huge fenced
backyard.  What I have always done is brought the cats in and let the dog or
dogs sniff them, the cats are smaller and can run and jump a lot faster and
higher than a dog, if that cat wants to get away from the dog, it most
certainly can.

Usually the cats will hide for a couple days and then gradually come out,
all of our animals get along.  Occasionally there are times when you
shouldn't have cats and dogs together though, we had a pitbull and a terrier
who would chase and trap the cats, wasn't a good situation.  I doubt your
dog will do this though.