[blparent] Tips for Getting Toddler to Use Nasal Spray

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Oct 10 18:18:08 UTC 2011

Hi.  My three-year-old is on antibiotics for a sinus infection.  She's also supposed to use a saline nasal spray two or three times a day.  She's fine at swallowing the medicine, and not uncooperative about using the spray, but I can't figure out how to get her to draw the saline solution up into her nose while breathing in, so it just runs right out and goes into her mouth or down her chin.  I tried to tell her to sniff like a dog, but it didn't work.  Have any of you come up with an effective way to get your child to use nasal spray?

Thanks,
Jo Elizabeth

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong.  Because someday in life you will have been all of these."--George Washington Carver, 1864-1943, American scientist