[blparent] stomach flu

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Oct 27 05:17:17 UTC 2011

Awww, poor thing.  My pediatrician told me that a baby between six months
and a year could go twelve hours of occasional vomiting, or eight hours of
persistent vomiting, without getting severely dehydrated.  It might be worth
a call to your doctor in the morning if your son hasn't stopped throwing up,
but a trip to the emergency room probably isn't necessary tonight.  If the
baby seems to have no tears when he cries, or if he goes six or eight hours
without a wet diaper, he might be getting dehydrated.  Again, probably a
call to the doc in the morning will be fine if he just started getting sick
tonight.  You might try giving him a few teaspoons of Pediasure, or there
are also frozen electrolyte pops for babies, to see if he can take that.  If
he has a fever, maybe some infant Tylenol.  But it just sounds like you'll
have to wait out the misery.  That can be stressful for a baby and his
parents, but hang in there.  It's way harder to have a sick kid than it is
to be sick yourself!  Vomiting can be scary for a baby who doesn't
understand what's happening, so just hold him and reassure him.

Keep your chin up,