[blparent] Co-sleeping with toddler

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 16:39:20 UTC 2011

I'm very fortunate, my husband is very supportive of co-sleeping and sees
the benefits first hand.  He also loves waking-up to a smiling, bouncing
baby boy at his side.  My husband calls Dawson his first cup of coffee in
the morning because of how good waking up to his smiling face and giggly
voice makes him feel.  Dawson in our bed hasn't negatively affected our
romantic life, but actually has done the opposite since we quietly run off
to the bedroom or other room of the house far away from Dawson while he's
busy playing in his playpen or watching an educational show.  We feel like
teenagers again and it's great.

It's sad when a baby passes away in the night, but just to demystify the
SIDS thing a little bit, most SIDS cases happen in cribs and that's why it's
been called Crib Death most of the time.  Also 99% of SIDS cases that happen
during co-sleeping happen because of parents not taking proper precautions.
I believe that every family needs to do what's best for them, but I was
amazed to discover in researching that co-sleeping has shown to regulate
babies heart rhythms and breathing patterns through the night.  Researchers
believe this has something to do with the human touch and breathing mom and
dad's exhale throughout the night.

We tried the mattress on the bed last night and it went wonderfully.  Right
now, as I type, Dawson is taking a nap on our bed on the floor and his nap
is lasting longer than it ever has in the crib.  What a heaven sent.

Thanks everyone for your support and stories.

Erin