[blparent] Disney World

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 2 02:29:14 UTC 2011

Erin,

We all have to make choices that work for us as individuals and that
we're comfortable with.  The comments Mary Jo and others have made about
perceptions and taking preferential treatment need to be viewed in
context.

Blindness itself is a sensory disability and does not affect our
physical being.  Cutting through a line at a theme park is intended for
those with mobility issues or other concerns that may make standing for
long periods difficult.  Again, blindness in no way creates a reason we
can't stand.  However, if blindness is compounded by a condition, such
as back pain, that causes you to have difficulty standing, I think we
would all agree this is a perfectly acceptable reason to use the special
line.

These comments were meant to be addressed to the issue of blindness and
not other conditions or disabilities.  Mary Jo's comments were not
directed to anyone who may have true physical concerns.  Obviously
cutting to the beginning of a line so you did not have to contend with
pain or instability, would be a reason why such a thing was created.
For those who do not have conditions making physical movement a problem,
though, they should consider how their actions affect the rest of us.
Yes we live our lives, and no, we shouldn't always have to make a point,
but in a world where blindness is still considered one of the worse
disabilities, perhaps we, who happen to be blind, should be more
cognizant of what we do and say and how this may be perceived.

Perhaps people won't think much if we cut to the beginning of a line,
but when cutting is not necessary, why take the chance of perpetuating
stereotypes and negative perceptions just to receive a perk?  We claim
we want equal treatment and to be normal, but then we take preferential
treatment- it's an oxymoron.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Message: 10