[blparent] to keep the stroller or not?

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Sep 7 04:00:30 UTC 2011

All good ideas, and I certainly believe in hygiene.  But also remember that
germs are usually spread from droplets in the air, such as people not
covering their mouths when they cough or sneeze, or hand to face contact.
Most germs don't live very long on hard surfaces, such as shopping carts or
strollers.  It's not too big of a worry unless a high chair is downright
sticky or filthy, in which case I've asked for another chair in a
restaurant, or asked for wet towels to clean the one I got.  The other thing
is, kids do need some exposure to germs so they can build up their immunity.
So as far as renting a stroller at the zoo or using a shopping cart, I don't
worry about it that much, because Sarah and I both touch surfaces
everywhere, every day.  It's a part of life.  It makes me roll my eyes a
little the way baby stores sell pacifier wipes, toy wipes, shopping cart
covers, and the like, all as necessities.  I do carry a bottle of hand
sanitizer in my purse, but truthfully, it doesn't come out as often as maybe
it should.

Jo Elizabeth

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself--nameless, unreasoning,
unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into
advance."--Franklin D. Roosevelt