[blparent] what blind parents should know:

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue Sep 20 16:21:54 UTC 2011

It's crazy to think that blind parents, or sighted parents either, will have
every answer for every situation that might come up.  When asked, I tell
people that I correspond by e-mail with a list of other blind parents, and
we often trade ideas.  There are the same kind of e-mail groups for sighted
parents, such as CafeMom.  But I listen to parents all over--in restaurants,
in my neighborhood, at Sarah's preschool--and who knows where the next flash
of insight will come from?  The one that springs readily to mind right now
is that a mom in the next building over from mind at the condo complex made
her little girl sit on the stairs for some infraction, I don't remember
what.  I'd been having trouble with time-out because I couldn't find a place
that wasn't free of distractions.  Sarah would sit contentedly in a chair if
she could look out a window or something.  So we started using the stairs as
the time-out spot, and bingo!  It works like a charm.  There's nothing to
look at and nothing to do.  My point is, if you're willing to be teachable,
you never know where you might learn tricks of the trade.  It doesn't have
to be from other blind moms, unless it's a specific adaptation to not having
sight, like a talking thermometer.

Debbie, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.  I wish you the best in
getting custody of your granddaughters.  It can be a long, heart-breaking
process, as my brother is finding out with his foster son.  The biological
parents were just granted their third continuance, at the last moment before
the hearing for the termination of parental rights was to happen.  So,
everybody's in limbo for at least six more weeks.