[blparent] Fw: Vote for Seedlings Books for Children to Win a Grant

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat Sep 24 19:14:21 UTC 2011

Hi.  As blind parents, many of us read braille books to our children, and we knoe how important reading and owning books can be for kids.  Seedlings Braille Books for Children is an organization that makes braille books of all levels available at the same price as the comparable print books.  I have bought dozens of board books and beginning stories there to read with Sarah, and as a proofreader, I've volunteered my time to help to make such classic titles as "Old Yeller" and "Where the Red Fern Grows" available to more advanced readers.

Right now Art Van, a grant-making organization in Michigan, is holding an online charity challenge.  The top three charities, chosen by Internet voters between now and September 30, will be awarded $25,000, $15,000, and $10,000 grants, respectively.  You can help Seedlings make a difference.

The process is a bit cumbersome, but please follow these steps:

Go to
http://artvancharitychallenge.com/

Scroll down past the alphabetical list of charities, and click on Vote for Your Favorite Charity Today!

Click the Register button.  Fill out your first and last name, e-mail address, a password, and your Zip code.  You can register multiple e-mail addresses with the same name, such as a work address and a home address.

Once you register, a verification e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you used.  Click on the Verify button in that e-mail, and you will be taken to a Voting page.

The charities you can vote for are listed in alphabetical order.  Scroll down till you find Seedlings Books for Children.  Check the box above the charity name, then keep scrolling down till you find the Vote! button.  Click on that, and you'll get the same screen, but it will say, "Thank you for Voting" above the Vote button.

Each day, go back to

http://artvancharitychallenge.com/

and log in with your e-mail address and password.  Then you can vote once a day from each e-mail address you registered, between now and September 30.  Please help Seedlings Braille Books for Children put more braille books in the hands of kids and their blind parents.

See more at

 seedlings.org

Thanks,
Jo Elizabeth

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong.  Because someday in life you will have been all of these."--George Washington Carver, 1864-1943, American scientist