[blparent] FW: child care information for convention

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Tue Apr 17 16:33:50 UTC 2012

Nikki, sent this to me and asked that I share it with you.  Her computer is going wonkers, so currently she is unsubscribed.  Too many posts sends her computer into hysterics. V

CONVENTION ADVENTURES AT NFB CAMP

by Carla McQuillan

>From the Editor: For many years the childcare service at NFB convention has been known as NFB Camp. Here is a description of this year’'s program, along with the schedule of camp hours and the registration form. Please read the information carefully. The deadline for registration is June 15.

If you are between the ages of six weeks and twelve years, NFB Camp is the place to be during national convention in Dallas. NFB Camp will be open for fun during meetings and general convention sessions.

Each child is assigned to a room at camp according to his/her age. Each room has age-appropriate toys and activities. Camp has rooms for infants and toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age children. The infants and toddlers spend much of their time in the room, with occasional walks around the hotel and stories read from Braille books. The preschool group will enjoy Braille story time, a few arts and craft projects, and small group play on the hotel lawns. The school-age children will have special-guest presentations on writing stories, science and technology, music and movement, and blind people employed in different professions. In addition, there will be daily excursions to the hotel lawns for outdoor games and water play.

Special Outdoor Activity!

On Tuesday, July 3rd, NFB Camp will bring in a giant inflatable obstacle course for the children to experience and explore. The course will include several obstacles to climb over, through, and around, ending in a giant slide. This activity will be available for preschool and school-age children during the morning sessions.

Non-campers are invited to join in! Children who are not signed up for NFB Camp for the day may come during the lunch break, 12:00-2:00 pm, under the following conditions:

 Children must be accompanied by an adult who stays the entire time the child plays.

 A waiver of responsibility must be signed by a parent or guardian (available at NFB Camp and at the course site).

 There will be a fee of $1 per course run-through. Tickets may be purchased at the NFB Camp desk prior to the event. Tickets can be purchased on site, availability permitting.

 Children must go through the course in stockinged feet or barefoot.

 NFB Camp reserves the right to deny participation to any individual who poses a safety threat or concern.

Banquet Night

NFB Campers will enjoy their own banquet night activities, beginning with their meal. Afterwards the children will be dazzled by the exotic live animals of the Creature Teacher. Hairless guinea pigs, iguanas, and hedgehogs are just a few of the animals in the Creature Teacher's educational presentation. Immediately following the Creature Teacher's lesson, the children will relax with a movie and popcorn.

NFB Workers

NFB Camp is under the supervision of Carla McQuillan, a longtime member of the Federation. Carla is the executive director of Main Street Montessori Association in Springfield, Oregon, operating three Montessori schools and a teacher education program. She has directed NFB camp since 1996. Alison McQuillan serves as the activities and staff coordinator for camp. Alison monitors the daily programs, drop-off and pick-up, and staff-to-child ratios. She ensures that only parents and authorized adults are allowed into camp rooms.

Each of the three camp rooms has a supervisor who is responsible for the activities of that age group. These leaders are chosen for their experience and demonstrated capacity to handle groups of children and workers. They are staff members of Carla's schools. Other workers and camp volunteers are drawn from within the Federation. Workers and volunteers usually include a mix of blind and sighted teens and adults who take shifts throughout the week.

Michelle Chacon is a certified orientation and mobility instructor and a teacher of blind children. She will be available throughout the week to consult with parents and staff and will provide some individualized instruction for our campers.

Babysitting List

NFB Camp maintains a list of people who are interested in providing care outside scheduled hours for camp. The list is at the check-in desk for NFB Camp. Parents are welcome to review names on the list if they are in need of caregivers during off hours. NFB Camp and the National Federation of the Blind are not responsible for the actions and behavior of those on the babysitting list. We do not screen the people listed; we merely maintain a central list for the convenience of convention attendees.

Pre-registration

Due to the limited space, parents wishing to enroll their children in NFB Camp must complete and return the following registration forms no later than June 15, 2012. You also may email or call to reserve space for your child or children, or to contact Carla with questions. You can reach Carla at <admin at mainstreetmontessori.org>or (541) 726-6924.

NFB CAMP REGISTRATION FORM

 Completed forms and fees must be received on or before June 15, 2012.

 Parent’'s Name

Address

City State Zip Phone

Cell Phone  Cell Phone

Childggren]s Name(s)
 Age Date of Birth

 Age Date of Birth

 Age Date of Birth

Include description of any disabilities or allergies we should know about:

Who, other than parents, is allowed to pick up your childggren)?

Per Week: $100 first child, $75 siblings

No.  of Chn $
   (Does not include banquet)
   Per Day: $25 per child per day
   No.  of Days  xdd25 child $
   (Does not include banquet)

Sa M T W TH (circle)
   Banquet: $25 per child No.  of children  $

 Turkey Sandwich  Cheese Sandwich

We understand that NFB Camp is being provided as a service to make our convention more enjoyable for both parents and children.  We will pick up children immediately following sessions.  We understand that, if our childggren) does not follow the rules or if for any reason staff are unable to care for our childggren), further access to childcare will be denied.

Parent's Signature  Date

Make checks payable to NFB Camp.  Return form to NFB Camp, 5005 Main Street, Springfield, OR 97478; (541) 726-6924; and wwwddmainstreetmontessoriddorg.

NFB CAMP SCHEDULE

NFB Camp will be open during general convention sessions, division and committee meeting day, and the evening of the banquet.  The hours for NFB Camp are tentative.  The actual hours will be based on the beginning and ending of sessions so that parents can drop off their children thirty minutes before the start of session and must pick up their children within thirty minutes of the end of session.  On occasion the actual end or beginning of session may be earlier or later than the agenda indicates.  We charge a $10 per quarter-hour per child late pick-up fee.  NFB Camp provides morning and afternoon snacks.  You must provide lunch for your children every day.

Date NFB Camp Hours
   Saturday, June 30th               8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.  and 1:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
   Sunday, July 1st                     Camp is closed.
   Monday, July 2nd                  8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.  and 1:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
   Tuesday, July 3rd                  9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.  and 1:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
   Wednesday, July 4th              8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.  and 1:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
   Thursday, July 5th                  8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.  and 1:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
   Banquet                                 6:30 p.m.-30 minutes after adjournment.