[blparent] Baby names

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Fri Apr 27 22:37:56 UTC 2012

According to babynames.com, which is a great site for browsing names by
meaning or national or ethnic origin, Jessica is a Hebrew name which means
"God Beholds."

Alternate spellings: Jessika, Jyssica, Jesyka

Notes: Name invented by Shakespeare for the daughter of a Jewish merchant in
'The Merchant of Venice'. He probably derived it from Jesca (Yiska), the
name of a minor Biblical character.

I don't remember running across that particular minor Biblical character,
but I suppose she's in there somewhere.