[blparent] Clarification was Re: Involvement of Child Services (wasintroduction, expecting)

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sun Aug 12 19:43:08 UTC 2012

Just for the record, I agree completely with Marsha.  Blind parents, and
parents with other disabilities, do get unnecessarily investigated because
they are disabled.  I can't recall where I saw the statistics, or exactly
what the numbers were, but the percentage of disabled parents who have
Social Services in their lives at some point while raising their children is
shockingly higher than the percentage of parents without disabilities who
deal with Social Services.  Whether the parents of Mikayla were too
confident, or not confident enough, or truly needed help, or had the
situation completely under control, none of us will ever know because we
weren't there.  We don't have all the details of the case.  Their battle was
going on while my daughter was tiny, about the same age as Mikayla, and I
grieved for the times those parents missed with their baby, times they can
never get back.  So I agree, hospitals need to be more educated.  Social
workers need to be more educated.  Home health nurses, lawyers, doctors, all
need to be more educated.  But old ideas and stereotypes die hard, and while
we're in the process of changing them, perhaps there are steps we can take
as blind parents, or advise other blind parents to take because of the
experiences we've had.  It would be fair to tell blind parents that if they
are questioned, staying calm and confident, not getting hostile or
belligerent, will heighten their chances that a social worker will ask a few
questions and move on.  Having the knowledge and self-assuredness to ask
anyone at any time what he or she has written on the medical charts will
also be helpful, since those charts should be open to blind parents the way
they would be to anybody else.  I wish I personally had the power to halt
every unfair investigation with the wave of a magic wand.  But since I
don't, I believe that the best thing we can do is give expectant blind
parents, and really all blind parents, since many inquiries are raised
beyond the hospital walls, the right tools to handle themselves and bring
about positive resolutions.  Perhaps a CD or a video might someday be made
that outlines some cases and gives parents ideas on how to handle situations
where Child Protective Services does become involved.  I know I would have
appreciated those resources when I opened my door one Saturday afternoon to
find two police officers and a social worker on my front porch.

Jo Elizabeth

I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops.--Stephen Jay Gould