[blparent] Parenting and blindness

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Aug 13 22:39:45 UTC 2012

Hi Agnes.  I would agree with that statement.  It takes common sense to
raise a child, not sight."  Plenty of sighted people are sadly lacking in
common sense, as are some blind people.

There's an example going on outside my house right now.  One of my neighbors
lets her daughter, who can't be more than four or five, wander around the
condo complex by herself.  I know the little girl well; I've never even met
her mom.  My daughter is about the same age as the other girl, but there's
no way on earth I'll let her go running around the complex without me.  (My
daughter has been crying and screaming at me as I write this e-mail about
how she hates me and I'm mean and she won't be my friend anymore because
Megan's mom lets her go and it's not fair that I don't say yes.)  It's too
risky.  Now, God forbid, if something happens to that other girl, it will be
tragic, but it's likely that no one will blame the mother or question her
parenting skills.  But if something were to happen to my daughter, even
though I take great care to make sure she's safe, you can bet that somebody
would come to the quick conclusion that the accident or whatever occurred
because of my blindness.

Last week at preschool, the teacher asked my boyfriend why my daughter had a
bruise on her chin.  He directed Sarah to tell the teacher what had
happened, and she said she was skating in her slippery socks on the kitchen
floor and she fell.  The teacher asked if Mom or Dad were there when she
fell, and my daughter said yes, Mom and Dad were right there.  Dad asked my
daughter how many times we had warned her that she would fall if she kept on
sliding and twirling on the linoleum with her socks on, and she said a lot.
That was the end of the discussion, but if I'd been there, I would have
politely added that all children get bumps and bruises, sometimes when their
parents are only a few feet away, and children have to learn the hard way
sometimes after they've been told to stop doing something.

Jo Elizabeth

I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops.--Stephen Jay Gould