[blparent] Blind Parenting

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue Aug 14 19:02:09 UTC 2012

Hi Agnes.  A good example of what you were saying about how children don't
follow the rigid textbook mind-set is the ongoing issue with my little girl
and her finger dexterity.  It all started because the visiting nurse I had
when my daughter was small wanted her to string big round wooden beads on a
shoelace.  I had no doubt that my daughter could have performed the task
adequately if she had wanted to.  But instead, she put the beads on her
fingers and pretended they were olives.  I thought what she did was cute and
creative.  But there was no place on the nurse's inventory form for cute or
creative.  We had to mark down that my daughter didn't complete the task.
Yes or no, that was it.

The second part happened because my daughter's preschool teacher said she
wasn't holding her crayons right.  She still grasps them in her fist instead
of with two fingers.  My boyfriend and I have both tried to show her the
right way.  She's not interested.  But we've done all of the activities the
teacher suggested--picking up small seeds and gluing them on cardboard,
manipulating pipe cleaners and yarn, cutting tiny shapes out of paper, and
my daughter can do them all perfectly.  Last week she was picking up those
teensy little stars and moons that are thrown as confetti at parties, since
we have church in a hotel meeting room and there had been a party the night
before.  I can't even feel those silly things in my hand, but she was
grabbing them off the carpet with no trouble.  There's nothing wrong with
her fine motor skills or hand dexterity.  She just doesn't want to hold her
pencil the right way, and the more the teacher pushes her, the more inclined
she is to dig in her heels and stick to her own method.

Those examples aren't ones that will get my child taken away, thank
goodness, but many professionals stick to their rigid beliefs and take no
account for the individuality of children.  For my daughter's entire first
year of life, the WIC nurse kept hammering me because she wasn't gaining
weight fast enough.  She got a slow start, but she's now four and right on
track with her growth charts.  I was in my thirties when my baby was born,
and perfectly capable of tuning out the WIC nurse.  But I often wondered
what might have happened if I were a scared teenager with a new baby and
someone down her neck all the time, or a mom who struggled with English as a
second language, or one who was easily intimidated by the ominous "system"
in all of its forms.

Jo Elizabeth

I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops.--Stephen Jay Gould