[blparent] First Grade, Kindergarten, Pre-K, Preschool ...

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Mon Aug 20 12:25:17 UTC 2012

        I had a preschool director tell me (and it's important to remember her perspective) that the stakes are lower in preschool which is why it's important kids go. She says that if a six year old bops someone over the head while he's figuring out how to share, it's far more serious then if a three year old does it.  I found this interesting.
I think part of the push for preschool is that families are smaller now. Kids do need to learn things that they used to have learned from older siblings and other big kids in their lives.

I also think that kids are able to do school type stuff earlier because we've gotten rid of many childhood and big people illnesses. The energy that used to be spent getting sick, being sick, then recovering can now be used for other things.

As for our educational system compared to the rest of the world, I'd be careful with that. We only know what other countries want us to know.  The U.S. is very good at giving the rest of the world a clear view. Other countries, well not so much. Look at some of the Indian engineers who can do exactly what they are told, but who cannot think creatively.  I'll see if I can find an article I recently read and post to the list.

Also, India uses far more manual labor then the U.S. so not everybody is bennifitting from what we think of as a better education.

What I've always found interesting is that no matter when and where an earthquake happens, there are a large number of children not at home with their families.  Look at this next time an earthquake hits the news. No matter what time it is local time, you'll find a surprisingly large number of children not with mom and dad.
Where I do think America fails is that the vocational tech programs are where they send the "bad kids".  This to me is very wrong because it sends the message that these professions aren't valuable.  It also means you have to do poorly in school to be considered for HVAC, automechanic or plumbing training.