[blparent] Talking Thermometers

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Aug 20 16:35:08 UTC 2012

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't get a talking thermometer.  What I
was trying to say was that the whole issue of how to take a baby's
temperature seems to be one that is very worried about by pediatricians,
CPS, other doubting parents, etc.  In my experience, the exact temperature
didn't seem to matter as much as the fact that my daughter had a fever.
Once when she got sent home from school with a fever of almost 102, I took
her temperature and found she was only at 99 point something.  I called the
pediatrician just to be sure, but I was told to encourage rest and fluids,
which I was already doing, and the fever passed on its own.  Interestingly,
when my daughter had ear infections last winter, she didn't have much of a
temperature with them.  So by all means, get a talking thermometer.
Sometimes it's a comfort having the exact temperature, though I feel sure
you'll know what to do about a fever before you use your thermometer.
Having one is also a way to show your competence to your doctor, your
mother-in-law, or whoever asks.  The home nurse seemed very impressed with
mine and included a note about it in her charts.

Jo Elizabeth

I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops.--Stephen Jay Gould