[blparent] Parent food shopping with baby in arms

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 22 20:37:55 UTC 2012

We always get assistance when shopping, and we usually hold onto a
shopping cart, or follow next to it, while the assistant pulls the cart.
We always, always take our canes with us no matter where we go, but if
someone is pulling a cart, I usually hold onto back by seat while they
pull from front, in which case, I just hold onto my cane. Obviously, if
I'm just walking alongside, I use my cane. Often my husband, when we go
together, will pull the cart while caning and just let the assistant
find products. My hubby is blind as well. He's a partial with some
useable vision, but uses all alternative techniques including a long
white cane.

We have a Baby Bjorn carrier to use as well as a stroller and car seat.
The baby carrier is nice to do hands-free activities, but I probably
wouldn't bring the stroller unless we walk to the store just because
that's a lot to manage especially at market. A car seat will sit in a
shopping cart, which is nice. We are lucky, and most the time, our
shopping assistant is a family member or friend, which makes it much
nicer and often easier to shop, but we do need to rely on store
employees from time to time as well.

You can always try to get a sitter too when going shopping. Maybe a
neighbor or friend or family member can watch baby while you shop.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan