[blparent] Reintro and anouncement

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue Aug 28 07:10:58 UTC 2012

Hi, Kate.  I wish all of you the best of happiness as you take up the
challenge of blending your families.

The only tip I can think of off the top of my head is to let the biological
parent handle any big discipline issues that come up.  And be a united
front--sooner or later, and probably sooner, you'll hear the "You're not my
mom" routine.  So you need to be absolutely sure that the other parent will
back you up, so sure that you can send the child to the other parent to ask
about whatever the issue is, and not worry that you'll be undermined.
Otherwise, the kids will play the parents against each other.  Since you
have children in both families, you might also consider buying or renting a
house together, instead of moving into a house where part of the family has
already been living.  If you move in with Gabe, for example, your older
daughter and his will argue at some point, and his daughter will play the
"well, this is my house" card.  Oh, and take it slow.  Tiffany may want to
start calling Gabe her daddy right away, since she hasn't had one.
Especially if she goes to preschool or daycare, where the other kids have
dads.  I know this because my Sarah has a Nanna, a family friend, and all of
a sudden now she wants to call her Grandma instead because kids at school
have grandparents.  Ash may not want to call Gabe her dad for a long time,
if she ever does.  The daddy spot in her heart is already filled; give her
time.

I hope this helps.  It's what I've learned about blending families over the
last five years.  The kids, most of all, will take their cues from you.  If
you're happy, they'll be happy.  Kids are amazingly adaptable.  Please write
to me privately if you want to talk.

Jo Elizabeth

I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops.--Stephen Jay Gould