[blparent] teaching methods

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Thu Aug 30 14:10:19 UTC 2012

My grandmother had me stirring cake mix when I was still in diapers and
expected my cousin who was the same age and I to be able to get dinner on
the table by age 12 or so. Her expectations were not so high for our boy
cousin, but even so he was expected to be able to feed himself and to know
how to cook. She did not raise me, but certainly had a strong influence, and
my expectations are strongly influenced by hers.

Lots of hands over hands in the beginning. Kids need to get a feel for
stirring to the bottom of the pot or bowl and bringing the bottom up. It is
easier to learn this when mixing up ingredients in a bowl than when trying
to stir a large pot on the stove. A fun choice for this is one of those
whipped topping desserts with the pudding, fruit, and nuts. My favorite one
is made with pistachio pudding, but there are many out there. Kids enjoy
seeing the colors blend and the chunky fruit is also easy to see when it is
all mixed in. Of course a nice healthy salad offers some of the same
opportunities, but is not as fun.

I regularly find directions for pre-schoolers that say to pre-measure the
ingredients before getting started and of course this can be a big help, but
then what to do with the child while you are busy in the kitchen. Still, it
is important to keep the ingredients to the opposite side of you as the
child. This is especially true with impulsive kids. My son actually cried
when I dumped out a four loaf batch of pumpkin bread because he had poured
in a lot of salt while I was putting things in the sink. I did not know
until I tasted it after we had it all mixed up and it was to late to save
it. It turned out to be a valuable lesson though as we had no more
ingredients to make more and he loves pumpkin bread.

Brandy is right on target with the bread plan too. You can keep a kid busy
kneading while you put away and clean up. This is handy for you, but also
sets the example of putting away the mess. You can also use the dough to
form letters or whatever as part of a lesson. Store bought bread dough can
be used for shaping things too though so do not let it stop you from this
fun activity if you are not a bread baker.

Good sharp knives are also better than dull ones. An accident is far more
likely to happen when someone has to push down hard with a dull knife. My
biggest knife struggle is trying to set the example to cut down on the
cutting board instead of holding the item in my hand. Sometimes it stinks to
be the good example. :) Pre-schoolers can be quite safe with knives if you
teach them to use one. This is not just my random philosophy either,
Montessori schools often include the use of knives in pre--school.

Those are some of the things I do. More may come to mind,  but those are the
first specifics.

Jennifer