[blparent] gratefulness

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Wed Dec 5 23:44:15 UTC 2012

You can not teach a feeling, but you can model and expect appropriate
behavior. When mine were little I reminded them to say thank you, but as
they became older I prompted with things like "We say thank you when someone
does something nice for us." And then later I could shorten it to some
version of pointing out that someone had done something nice for my child.

7 is not to young to start with an allowance either. A small allowance will
give you numerous teaching opportunities about money. I bring it up now
because it also helps get you out of always having to say no to your son.
You can just ask if he has the money for it or talk about saving up for it.
If he has no understanding of budgets then he only knows that you
arbittraily say yes and no.

None of this is instant, but I think it is something well worth working
towards with our kids. I also think it is something that most parents have
to address.

I do not think my kids are necessarily any more grateful for gifts than my
sisters kids are, but my grandmother does not give gifts to those two kids
anymore because they did not tell her thank you for the last gifts. She
likes it that my kids always say thank you. My grandmother does not give
these gifts out in front of other children and has never been one to give
regularly for birthdays and holidays, so she is not trying to punish those
girls, just choosing to give where she wants too.

Jennifer