[blparent] My son's teacher

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Feb 6 04:57:22 UTC 2012

If you can get an edge on the problem at age six, believe me, the kid and
his family will be much happier at age 16.  My stepson is finally doing a
little better in school, but he dealt with years of inaction first, and he's
been in the juvenile courts three times.  Not to say that was all
unavoidable, but ignoring the problem in the beginning sure didn't help.
A first grader is just starting to learn study habits and to build his
self-image as a student.  Setting up success early, whether it takes
counseling or medication, or standing on your head for ten minutes twice a
day, is a whole lot easier than trying to reverse years of struggle later
on.  Maybe ADHD is overdiagnosed, and medications are handed out too freely.
But even ten years ago, there was still a stigma against the problem that
kept many parents from figuring out how to give their kids the support they
needed.