[blparent] Troubling Exchanges

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Thu Feb 9 06:42:59 UTC 2012

I've been at the NFB Washington Seminar since Sunday afternoon, and was away
from my email until this evening.  I returned to find the troubling series
of exchanges that have led one member to unsubscribe.  It goes without
saying, but I'll say it regardless, that this list is not a place to
question or challenge anyone's religious beliefs, no matter how passionately
one may disagree!  Religion and spirituality are deeply personal, and it is
not appropriate to discuss, debate, or critique anyone's belief system on
this listserv!

 In order for this list to work, listers need to feel safe from judgmental
comments.  What the sender may intend as constructive criticism can feel
like a personal attack to the lister on the receiving end.  As I've said
before, when in any doubt, try the 24-hour treatment.  Put your post in your
drafts folder and take a look at it in 24 hours before you decide whether to
send it.  It really makes a difference, and may save us all a lot of grief.

 From time to time heated exchanges tend to flair up on this list, and it's
nearly always when the thread wanders away from issues that are specific to
being a blind parent.  Blind parenting issues are very broad, including the
ways blindness plays into family relationships, school connections,
discipline, choices of baby equipment, handling homework, getting kids to
sports practices, and much much more. Because we take this very broad
approach, it's easy for threads to go astray.  Please try to keep the
purpose of this list in focus and stay with blindness-related issues as much
as possible.

Debbie