[blparent] Child Protective Services & blind parenting

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 22 21:13:41 UTC 2012

I think parenting classes for any new parent should be provided and
mandatory whether disabled or not, adopting or biological pregnancy, but
no laws currently enforce such classes except for adopting parents. No
parent should require a certification just because they are blind. I'm
not admonishing Hadley for offering this, but making a comment on
society because we have to consider doing such a thing. New parents, and
even people with children already, can benefit from learning parenting
skills, and though much of it is common sense, parents who are blind
feel more comfortable learning certain alternative techniques and
methods for parenting, but classes like what Hadley offers should not be
taken simply because blind parents may require "proof" of their ability
to parent. It's abhorrent that anyone in 2012 still fear this issue.

I didn't plan on announcing this until next week, and I request anyone
who is Facebook friends with me not post anything just yet, or post
anywhere outside this list serve,  as we will tell my in-laws this
weekend, but my husband and I are expecting our first biological child.
We are eleven weeks along, and so far, none of our doctors have given us
a reason to suspect they doubt our ability to parent as a blind couple.
They have been supportive, encouraging and just pleased as punch about
our pregnancy. I know the med team working with us when I go into labor
may have some concerns outside the team we currently work with, but
nothing so far has given us a reason to be overly concerned with this
issue. That being said, we are aware, informed and armed should, God
forbid, something come up once the baby is here. It's sad to me,
especially since I wasn't always blind, that any parent with a visual
impairment need be concerned on any level about this. And trust me, when
mama bear's claws come out, well, it doesn't bode well for those
provoking me. That bear poking stick will quickly turn into kindling.

I will need to stop soon because this topic makes my blood pressure rise
through the roof, grin, though I have low BP so I guess it's not to bad,
LOL! It's just ridiculous and egregious that we need potentially "prove"
anything to anyone based solely on the purpose that we are blind. The
rant is done for now, smirky grin.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: