[blparent] Parenting classes

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 21:38:05 UTC 2012

Hi Bridgit,

While I agree that such information would be beneficial to all new
parents, I have to agree with Jo Elizabeth: If all new parents were
required to take (and, presumably, pass) parenting classes, people
with disabilities would suffer. We read on this list all the time
about the additional hurdles would-be adoptive parents face if they
happen to be disabled.

Because the state is choosing whether or not to place a child with
potentially adoptive parents, it has the right to require that they
take certain classes. The government is not involved in a couple's
decision to biologically have a child. If the government required
parenting classes, the issue of reproductive rights would come into
play. (And I think that enforcing such a requirement would be
logistically problematic, to say the least.)

My above comments have nothing to do with whether or not it would be a
good idea for all parents to be exposed to the infromation adoptive
parents receive in parenting classes; in fact, I think there would be
lots of advantages for all parents in access to such information. I
guess I like your idea in theory but can't advocate for it in
practice.

Best,

Angie