[blparent] Early Riser

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Sat Feb 25 14:42:48 UTC 2012

Austin used to be an early riser...  Now I'm not sure how we're going to get
him to kindergarten on time in the fall because he does not like getting up
early in the morning!  I'm sure we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

	Anyway, does Sarah have any music or audio books she likes?
Favorite toys or games she likes to play?  Crayons or any other quiet things
she likes to do?  Austin really likes music and audio books so I used to
send him back to his room for a little while to listen to something.
Depending on how early it was I would tell him he either had to listen to a
whole CD, or I would tell him he had to listen at least until a certain song
or story was over before he could come in and get me.  Sometimes this
worked; sometimes it didn't, but it would be a place to start.  Sometimes I
would also tell him he could play with a certain toy, stuffed animals, look
at books, or something else quiet while he listened.  This was especially
important when I was pregnant with Oriana and just needed that extra five or
ten minutes to get myself going in the morning.  Austin sounds a lot like
Sarah because when he was awake, he was really awake and wanted me to be
just as awake and active as he was.  Again, this phase might pass--it
certainly has in our house.
Good luck!
Melissa