[blparent] some small points of correction about the Hadley school

Jennifer Bose jen10514 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 14:50:05 UTC 2012

Hi, listers.

A couple of quick things about the Hadley School: Hadley isn't an
accessible college, so someone going into college-level courses in IT
would want to look at other programs. The other thing, especially
important for parents on this list who live outside the US: The
courses they teach--parenting courses, business ownership courses,
Braille literacy and a lot of other subjects--are available to legally
blind people anywhere, not just in the US. According to their website,
www.hadley.edu, they currently serve people in all 50 states in the US
and 100 other countries. I know they recently started a program in
China.

Anyway, the parenting courses were interesting to me, too. If you
think about it, there are so many sources of information for sighted
parents or parents-to-be, such as Parents' Magazine and many other
sources. So a course that includes some information useful to blind
parents is a nice addition to all those other resources. I guess it
just depends on how you learn and whether you like to gather lots of
information or just wing it. I actually find myself wanting to learn a
lot about some topics and just letting others, including my daughter,
teach me about other topics. I'm due in April with our second and last
child--two is just right for us--so I'm going through my books from
Hadley about infancy, just for the refresher.

Jen