[blparent] House rules

Peggy pshald at neb.rr.com
Tue Jan 3 15:18:48 UTC 2012

I don't know how many kids you are trying to do foster care for or adopt and
I've hesitated to write in because I don't want to seem like I know
everything because I most certainly do not ... however I did foster care for
a number of years and here's what I learned:

We put an alarm system on the doors and the kids snuck out the window, in a
two story house
If you are raising teens they will sneak people in and out and be very good
at it
They will drink and smoke *not just cigarrettes* if they can get away with
it
They will steal and it doesn't matter who it's from *One girl stole from my
son who was like three at the time*
Watch your phones because if they can sneak calls, they will
No matter what precautions you take *sighted or blind* if they want to do
something bad enough, they will find a way

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing foster care, I got away from it
for a while, mostly because for some reason they said I wasn't approved
anymore but no one will give me an explanation.  I'm thinking about doing it
again because my husband and I would really like to adopt but I will not
take teens again, at all!!  They are very manipulative and have learned the
system well and know how to use it to their advantage and as I said, if they
want something bad enough they will find a way to get it or do it.

I don't know how they expect you to plan for every event that will come up
because with kids, especially foster kids, you just don't know what that
will be, blind or sighted!!  I guess the best advice I can give you is
prepare as much as you can and then let everyone know that every kid is
different and situations need to be handled differently for every kid ...
blind or sighted we or you can not be prepared for everything!!

And my advice about the park, buy squeaky shoes or use a child leash or wait
until a child learns to come when you call before attempting to go!

I hope I didn't discourage you and I wish you all the luck in the world,
foster care is very rewarding, hard but rewarding, and with all the crap my
kids got away with ... I would take them back in a heartbeat, I love them
and loved doing foster care ... it's the case workers, HHS, people in
authority and the system that are the problem!!  The foster care system is a
joke, at least in Nebraska and it's amazing how shallow people working in
the system can be, blind or sighted, they need good foster parents and
should be willing ... providing you can provide a safe and loving home ...
to give you a chance!