[blparent] kids and the park

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Tue Jan 3 16:46:45 UTC 2012

Hello Miranda and List,
When we started taking Austin, our oldest, to the park, we always had him on
a child leash.  He was a little over a year old, so he wasn't great at
coming when called yet, and he has always been such an active "busy" boy
that I was always a little concerned that he'd run and play and would be
difficult to locate.  We always had bells on his shoes, which helped a lot,
but I felt a lot safer having him on the leash.  Of course that meant I had
to climb behind him.  This had great advantages.  I was able to talk to him
about everything we were experiencing together, I was able to make sure he
stayed safe, and if he fell, I was right there to make sure he was all right
and encourage him to climb again.  Of course there were disadvantages as
well...  Mostly that I couldn't talk to a lot of the other parents who were
just watching their kids from more of a distance.  As Austin has gotten
older however, we allow him to run around and play as long as he answers us
when we call him.  This was a slow transition, but has worked well so far.
If he doesn't answer, then we go home, period.  Now, we do take into account
that the play ground is large, so if he doesn't answer us the first time we
call we will move to a different area and call again.  If we find that he's
hiding however, and just chosing not to answer, then we will go home.  He
has actually never tried this, and he usually likes us to be near him when
he is playing, even if we don't climb around after him as much, so he's good
about telling us where he's going so we can follow him.  Now we're starting
all over with our daughter, Oriana.  She is much more cautious by nature,
and much more willing to hold hands, so we haven't used the child leash as
often with her.  Although she is still not two yet, so we do a lot of
climbing around after her to make sure she is safe.
	I think going to the park ahead of time to learn the lay out is a
great idea.  I also love to go during times that aren't so busy whenever
possible.  This means nice days when older kids are in school.  The older
kids at our playground tend to run around all over the place and aren't
great about looking out for little ones that may just happen to be "in their
way."  Of course, when summer comes, all bets are off smile.  But you can
still sometimes catch a break by eating an early lunch and going around noon
when a lot of families have gone home for lunch.  Of course, this is the
hottest part of the day, which may not be ideal either.
I hope some of this helps.
Melissa