[blparent] Pippi's IPhone

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 06:47:30 UTC 2012

Hi Pippi,
I am just learning my own Iphone, but might be able to help you if you
are having difficulties with yours.... ... at least, I can ask my dh
who always gives me tips and is always downloading apps.
It does take a bit of time to get use to it. Try the Dictate feature,
you might like it for writing msgs and emails.
There is an app called "Vizwiz" which is free. This app is geared for
the visually impaired. Basically, you take a picture of an item
(working the camera is not a challenge), record a question "What color
is this?" "What is in this box?" "What is the serial number on this
item?" ... etc... ... and you send the pic and question to either some
of your sighted friends (via email or facebook) or a web worker. You
get a response quickly. I have used the Web workers and they  are
pretty good at answering your question.

I don't know about children's appts, yet. But, I was amazed at how
many apps are out there for  toddlers and even small babies. Honestly,
I think that I would have to be very careful: one wrong move and the
IPhone is on the floor broken. but, you know your daughter better than
I. Just remember that even with the otterbox protector case (which is
what I have) the IPhone is pretty fragile! More than one parent that I
know of, has forgotten.
Jan