[blparent] behavior problem solving

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue Jan 17 17:38:17 UTC 2012

yes, we do this and it's fun. Plus your kid learns that there are reasons why directions need to be followed.
Niki, it sounds like part of the problem is that you wheel your dad out when you think you need him, i.e. reading notes from school, being the final go or no go with the following directions thing, and probably a few other things. Then you want him to step back and let you "be the parent".
Nobody likes being used that way. This would be true if we were talking about a husband.

Don't ever set something up that you are "in charge of" and then not be in a position to enforce it. You will fail every time.
Also, I sense some teenage dynamics going on here. You pulled your son out of soccer "no mater what my dad thinks" with no indication that you had a rational thought as to whether or not pulling your son out was useful. It came across as "My dad likes it, so by God I am not going to like it".