[blparent] children, behavior problems and ADD

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Wed Jan 25 03:28:22 UTC 2012

I agree!

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of jan wright
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:26 AM
To: blparent
Subject: [blparent] children, behavior problems and ADD

Hi Tammy,
when people do these tests, ask them to find out how your child learns best.
Maybe he is bored because the teacher is teaching something in a learning
style that is just not helpful for him.
Honestly, and this is just me, I have found that labels do more damage than
good.
Not only do they put people in a box, but they tend to prescribe certain
treatments, expectations, etc.
None of us fall clearly into these boxes, though and it can be detramental
to someone's psychological well being to have a label follow him or her
around all the time.
I know that they can be useful, but people spend too much time on the label
and not enough time on just finding solutions that work. (JMHO).
I would opt for medication as a last resort, if necessary.
But, even if you do the meds (if the tests show that he needs them), you can
start teaching him ways to stay on task or to focus. These tips will be more
helpful than meds, in the long run. they just require more work from you,
the teacher and ultimately, the kid.
If tests show nothing, you can still teach focussing tips, etc. So, label or
no label, meds or no meds, you can target the challenge and find a
solution... ... you know????
And, it could be the teacher's style of teaching or the paperwork involved,
or other things. You can teach him ways to deal with boring teachers and
paperwork.
Jan